History of Biotech

j a witkowski witkowsk at cshl.org
Tue Oct 3 15:44:19 EST 1995

In Article <44brde$3v2 at sunca.ncaur.gov>, <cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov> (G. Cote)
wrote:
>In article <DFIs2F.19K at midway.uchicago.edu>, wjb1 at ellis.uchicago.edu
>says...
>>
>>I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a reference for the history
>>of biotechnology, especially something that goes into timelines of key
>>discoveries (eg. PCR, DNA sequencing), and their commercialization.
>>Thanks in advance.

I wrote a timeline of molecular biology's Hall of Fame for Trends in
Biotechnology (6: 234-243, 1988) but it was mostly to do with "basic"
discoveries.

Robert Bud doesn't cover much of the biotechnology that comes out of
recombinant DNA technology.

A reference source is "Recombinant DNA" by Watson et al.

Kary Mullis wrote an interesting description of PCR for Scientific American
and of the patent fight in a book "The Polymerase Chain Reaction" Mullis et
al, 1994, Birkhauser.

Two books describing specific episodes in the developemnt of biotechnology are:

Hall, S. S. (1987). Invisible Frontiers: the Race to Synthesize a Human
Gene. Tempus

Teitelman, R. (1989) Gene Dreams: Wall Street, Academia, and the Rise of
Biotechnology Basic Books, Inc. Publishers

I have written an article called "Manipulating DNA: From Cloning to
Knockouts" that should be out in a book early in 1996.

J. A. Witkowski
Banbury Center
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724-0534