alkaline solution + dilute cupric sulfate + protein= ?

cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Thu Oct 5 13:53:28 EST 1995

In article <450lk7$b90 at doffen.uninett.no>, jonp at sandnessjoen.vgs.no
says...

>I dont know if this is the right place to mail this question, but I'll
>give it a try and hope someone can help me.
>
>Alkaline solution  + diluted cupric sulfate, if you add some protein you
>get a violet or pink colour.
>
>What is really happening in this process.
>
>I would be so gratefulif anyone culd give me an answer.
>
>Jon Pettersen.

This sounds like the well-known and extensively studied Biuret reaction.
 For starters, check out the following review on the Folin method of
protein analysis; it should give you some leads regarding your particular
reaction conditions:

G.L. Peterson, Analytical Biochemistry 100 (1979) 2010220.

Actually, any good book chapter on the chemical analysis of proteins
should give you the info. you seek.

G. Cote
USDA