Grad.Students (ab)use

Sat Oct 7 20:32:01 EST 1995

GRADUATE STUDENTS AS GRANT PRPOPSAL WRITERS FOR
THEIR BOSSES : HOW COMMON THIS PRACTICE IS ?

In a private e-exchange on the research funding
theme a colleague has informed me of a practice
when (some) professors use their graduate students
in the capacity of grant proposals writers for
themselves (the professors).

Specifically, example was given when a student was
requested to write grant proposal for the "boss"
as a part of his/her PhD comprehensive examinations.
"Write a proposal in the style of NIH grant".

In another case student "would hardly finish one of
the boss' grants and the boss give him/er another".

My correspodent concludes:

"It's generally accepted by most grad students that
I've talked to that this is abuse, but I really don't
know what it thought by the tenure professors".

As I (A.Berezin) am presently working with another
colleague on a paper/letter about PhD (over)production
and grantsmanship, I will appreciate comments on the
above issue form profsessors AND graduate students
(and, of course, all other who may have info).

Any ideas on how widespread this practice is ?

What are the moral/ethical "justifiers" behind it, if
any ?  [ Yes, one can say that "we have to train
students how to write grants" ], etc.

Do you personally consider it as abuse or "okay" ?

Comments can be either posted of e-mailed to me
privatly - in the latter case, the confindentiallity
of respodees will be, of course, respected.

Alexander A. Berezin, PhD
Department of Engineering Physics
McMaster University, Hamilton,
Ontario, Canada, L8S 4L7