Interviews for Grad Students

cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Tue Oct 10 09:34:41 EST 1995

In article <skohan-0510951622410001 at ts23-10.wla.ts.ucla.edu>,
skohan at ucla.edu says...

>Someone told me that if you get invited on an interview, the program
pays
>for your airfare and lodging which struck me as a little too generous.
>Anyone know the scoop?

This depends on "the program".  If you are talking about grad schools
interviewing prospective grad students, then it depends on how much money
they have and how badly they want you.  I did get an all-expense paid
trip to the Univ. of Iowa when I was looking at grad schools over a
decade ago, but Iowa State was not able to do the same for me. That
shouldn't play too much of a role in making your decision.  (I went to
Iowa State anyway.)  If you are talking about employers interviewing grad
students for jobs, don't even consider an employer who won't pay for an
interview trip.