Interviews for Grad Students

Brian Fristensky frist
Wed Oct 11 16:26:19 EST 1995

>In article <skohan-0510951622410001 at ts23-10.wla.ts.ucla.edu>,
>skohan at ucla.edu says...
>>
>>Someone told me that if you get invited on an interview, the program
>pays
>>for your airfare and lodging which struck me as a little too generous.
>>Anyone know the scoop?

No graduate school I've ever heard of has a pot of money set aside
for interviewing prospective students. I have seen cases where
an advisor was so keen on a particular student that he paid for
the student to visit. That is rare, and is limited to cases where
the advisor has enough money kicking around to fund the trip (less
and less common today) and the student is perceived as being so
exceptional, or having highly desireable skills, as to justify
some aggressive recruiting.

It can't hurt to visit potential graduate schools
at your own expense, especially if you have been in contact with a
potential advisor who has expressed an interest in you. For one thing,
it shows how serious you are about going there, and also puts you in
a better position to sell youself. Also, remember that if you go there,
that will be home for anywhere from 2 - 6 years, so it's worth
knowing what you're getting yourself into.

Brian Fristensky                |  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do
Department of Plant Science     |  the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple
University of Manitoba          |  with ineffable itself, and see if
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  we may not eff it after all."
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    | Douglas Adams, DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC
FAX:            204-261-5732    |           DETECTIVE AGENCY
http://www.umanitoba.ca/Agriculture/Plant_Science/Fristensky/Fristensky.html