Interviews for Grad Students

Pete Muriana MURIANAP at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Oct 12 08:52:58 EST 1995

In article <45hcps$nt9 at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> Brian Fristensky <frist> writes:

>Subject: Re: Interviews for Grad Students

>>In article <skohan-0510951622410001 at ts23-10.wla.ts.ucla.edu>,
>>skohan at ucla.edu says...
>>>Someone told me that if you get invited on an interview, the program
>>pays for your airfare and lodging which struck me as a little too generous.
>>>Anyone know the scoop?

>No graduate school I've ever heard of has a pot of money set aside
>for interviewing prospective students. I have seen cases where
>an advisor was so keen on a particular student that he paid for
>the student to visit. That is rare, and is limited to cases where
>the advisor has enough money kicking around to fund the trip (less
>and less common today) and the student is perceived as being so
>exceptional, or having highly desireable skills, as to justify
>some aggressive recruiting.

It's not so rare in certain departments in the school of agriculture (I'm in
Food Science).  There is a keen interest in recruiting exceptional
graduate students, sometimes from outside our own discipline (for instance, a
4.0 undergrad. who has won various awards and is highly recommended, great
grades, etc.).  It is not unusual to pick up hotel, meals, gas expenses, etc.,
sometimes even picking up an airline flight (but it must be a very highly
regarded candidate).  Even beyond the department level, some Schools have even
initiated programs to provide additional funds to a highly regarded
graduate student candidate up to several thousand dollars beyond the dept.
stipend.  One of my prior masters' students got airline expenses and
accomodations for several days at the visiting university. I've talked to some
applicants who have been treated that way by as many as 4 different
universities.  It's almost amazing to see what is being offered.  What's next,
signing bonuses?

>It can't hurt to visit potential graduate schools
>at your own expense, especially if you have been in contact with a
>potential advisor who has expressed an interest in you. For one thing,
>it shows how serious you are about going there, and also puts you in
>a better position to sell youself. Also, remember that if you go there,
>that will be home for anywhere from 2 - 6 years, so it's worth
>knowing what you're getting yourself into.

>Brian Fristensky                |  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do
>Department of Plant Science     |  the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple
>University of Manitoba          |  with ineffable itself, and see if
>Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  we may not eff it after all."

*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.             317-494-8284   TEL            *
*  Dept. of Food Science               317-494-7953   FAX            *
*  Purdue University                   murianap at foodsci.purdue.edu   *
*  Smith Hall                                                        *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907-1160                                      *