Interviews for Grad Students

Guy F. Barbato gfb1 at email.psu.edu
Thu Oct 12 12:52:20 EST 1995

In article <MURIANAP.328.00126A89 at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU>,
   MURIANAP at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU (Pete Muriana) wrote:
>In article <45hcps$nt9 at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> Brian Fristensky <frist>
writes:

>>Subject: Re: Interviews for Grad Students
>
>>>In article <skohan-0510951622410001 at ts23-10.wla.ts.ucla.edu>,
>>>skohan at ucla.edu says...
>>>pays for your airfare and lodging which struck me as a little too generous.
>
>>No graduate school I've ever heard of has a pot of money set aside
>>for interviewing prospective students. I have seen cases where
>>an advisor was so keen on a particular student that he paid for
>>the student to visit. That is rare, and is limited to cases where
>>the advisor has enough money kicking around to fund the trip (less
>>and less common today) and the student is perceived as being so
>>exceptional, or having highly desireable skills, as to justify
>>some aggressive recruiting.
>
>It's not so rare in certain departments in the school of agriculture (I'm in
>Food Science).  There is a keen interest in recruiting exceptional
>graduate students, sometimes from outside our own discipline (for instance, a
>4.0 undergrad. who has won various awards and is highly recommended, great
>grades, etc.).  It is not unusual to pick up hotel, meals, gas expenses,
etc.,
>sometimes even picking up an airline flight (but it must be a very highly
>regarded candidate).  Even beyond the department level, some Schools have
even
>initiated programs to provide additional funds to a highly regarded
>graduate student candidate up to several thousand dollars beyond the dept.
>stipend.  [snip]

yep, and Penn State's one of them!! if you are 'good', ALL departments have
access to 'quality enhancement funds' which can be used to pay everything from
airline fare to additional stipend to moving expenses.

>>It can't hurt to visit potential graduate schools
>>at your own expense, especially if you have been in contact with a
>>potential advisor who has expressed an interest in you. For one thing,
>>it shows how serious you are about going there, and also puts you in
>>a better position to sell youself. Also, remember that if you go there,
>>that will be home for anywhere from 2 - 6 years, so it's worth
>>knowing what you're getting yourself into.

here, here. as a young graduate student leaving the city (New York, Newark, NJ
then downtown Wilkes Barre,PA) and arriving in scenic Blacksburg VA, i thought
that the lack of cement and macadam would kill me!!!  besides the air didn't
smell like the seat of a crosstown bus : (

[snip

>*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.             317-494-8284   TEL            *
>*  Dept. of Food Science               317-494-7953   FAX            *
>*  Purdue University                   murianap at foodsci.purdue.edu   *
>*  Smith Hall                                                        *
>*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907-1160                                      *

it must be a BIG(11)Ten thing.... good luck this weekend, should be a good
game!!
cheers,
guy

 ////         G. F. Barbato                Phone: (814)-865-4481
< * )         Dept. Poultry Science        FAX:   (814)-865-5691
  \ \__///    Penn State University        Lab:   (814)-865-3189
  ( --- )     University Park, PA 16802    Email: gfb1 at psu.edu
   \/ \/        **** URL: http://ps235.cas.psu.edu/ ****
     A non-secular nanosecond of thought:
            " Education is what survives when
                 what was learnt has been forgotten."
                                 --------  B.F. Skinner
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX