Rejected bionet. postings: double standards

Peter Herman herman at populus.slu.se
Fri Oct 13 03:03:09 EST 1995

Joanna Aretz (joanna at rndsystems.com) wrote:
: I agree with you.  We provide several unique reagents for cytokine
: research and I believe that that you should be able to bring the message
: to the appropriate people.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^

The appropriate people are those who ASK for the information.  The
"non-commrcial" domains on the net are designed to keep postings to a
managable level for those of us who read the bionet.* and similar
hierarcies for professional information.  If I need info about a
technique or a product, I will post a request to the most restricted
group that is likely to bring a response (i.e. - if I am looking for info
on a bacterial growth medium, I would post to bionet.microbiology not
bionet.general)

Abuse of the net by vendors does 2 unfortunate things to the vendor
1) creates lots of ill will from the people they wish to serve.

2) runs the risk of causing people to stop reading groups which become
over run with commercial and spamed postings. therefore, they will not
see your posting anyhow!

Neither of these is good for business.  I personlly never buy consumer
products or services from companies which call me up on the phone
(especially at home at dinner time) nor from salesmen who call me up at
work. For those with a live person, I politely tell them so.  I take a
similar view of "my" space on the net as I do of my telephone!

Peter

 ---
R. Peter Herman				email	Peter.Herman at mv.slu.se
Sveriges Lantbruksuniversitet		Phone:	+46 18 67 12 20
Inst. f. Markvetenskap			Fax:	+46 18 67 27 95
S750 07 Uppsala, Sweden