Mammalian phylogeny

Rick Toomey toomey at denr1.igis.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 13 05:25:44 EST 1995

mburgos at platon (Miguel Burgos Poyatos) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I am interested in mammalian phylogeny, spacially in relation to
>the relative position of primates, insectivores, quiroptera and
>rodents. Some literature references wil be very acknowledged.
>Thanks in advance for replaying.
>
>mburgos at goliat.ugr.es

Many recent references deal with this subject.  The following
are a selection which will allow you to get into the literature.

Novacek, M.J., 1992, Mammalian phylogeny: shaking the tree,
   Nature, 356: 121-125.

Novacek, M.J., Wyss, A.R. and McKenna, M.C., 1988, The major
   groups of eutherian mammals, IN (M.J. Benton, ed), The
   Phylogeny and Classification of the Tetrapods, V. 2,
   Oxford: Clarendon Press, p. 31-71.

AU HONEYCUTT-RL.  ADKINS-RM.
 TI HIGHER LEVEL SYSTEMATICS OF EUTHERIAN MAMMALS - AN ASSESSMENT OF
    MOLECULAR CHARACTERS AND PHYLOGENETIC HYPOTHESES.
 SO ANNUAL-REVIEW-OF-ECOLOGY-AND-SYSTEMATICS.  1993, V24,, P279-305.
    ISSN 0066-4162.

With any luck these can get you started on your quest for
papers on mammalian phylogeny.  These papers include
information on both molecular and morphologic analyses.

Rick Toomey
Illinois State Museum
toomey at museum.state.il.us