Rejected bionet. postings: double standards

Don Chen chend at
Sat Oct 14 13:01:19 EST 1995

kristoff at (David Kristofferson) wrote:
>stuff deleted

>No journal allows ads in the middle of their articles.  Advertising is
>always done in a separate section, and the advertising is used to
>support the journal.  This is one of the few media that, because of
>its open nature, some think that they can utilize without contributing
>much to its support.  We have a mechanism of advertising through the
>BIOSCI WWW home page.  We do not allow broadcast ads - period - they
>annoy our readers and consume resources in our mail queue and archive
>site.  If someone is trying to use the system for commercial
>advantage, let them help support it.  The government is not going to
>do so much longer, and we already have had *good* commercial citizens
>such as Molecular Dynamics and Knight-Ridder Information who *are*
>helping.  We would have a real double standard if we permit some to
>get for free what the organizations that are sponsoring us are paying

In reference to the idea of separate sections for advertising:

Would it be useful to have a separate newsgroup for commercial
advertising?  This does not address the problem of costs or payments
to the bionet sponsoring organizations.

Sleeping we image what awake we wish,
         Dogs dream of bones, fishermen of fish. -Theocritus