Grad.Students (ab)use

Sun Oct 15 10:53:58 EST 1995

Dear Alex,

I have long involved grad students and postdocs in the grant writing
process, and now often ask that they produce the first draft. This doesn't
simply reduce my work, but gives them a chance to formulate what they want
to do in their research. It's voluntary, and only for grants on which they
have a (named) stipend line. The result is that after they leave me they
generally have much better success in getting grants than I do, and much
of the money in "my" lab is actually independent fellowships held by my
students. In the latter case, they write the first draft, I help, and MY
name stays off. So it's reciprocal, voluntary, and occasionally even
brings in money.

Yours, -Dick[Oct15,95]