Interviews for Grad Students

Micheal McCann mmccann at sju.edu
Wed Oct 18 08:39:21 EST 1995

Pete Muriana (MURIANAP at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU) wrote:
: In article <45hcps$nt9 at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca> Brian Fristensky <frist> writes:

: >Subject: Re: Interviews for Grad Students

: >>In article <skohan-0510951622410001 at ts23-10.wla.ts.ucla.edu>,
: >>skohan at ucla.edu says...
: >>>Someone told me that if you get invited on an interview, the program
: >>pays for your airfare and lodging which struck me as a little too generous.
: >>>Anyone know the scoop?

: >No graduate school I've ever heard of has a pot of money set aside
: >for interviewing prospective students. I have seen cases where
: >an advisor was so keen on a particular student that he paid for
: >the student to visit. That is rare, and is limited to cases where
: >the advisor has enough money kicking around to fund the trip (less
: >and less common today) and the student is perceived as being so
: >exceptional, or having highly desireable skills, as to justify
: >some aggressive recruiting.

In many of the life sciences, the programs pick up most if not all of the costs.
Every interview I went on was fully paid for by the school (including air-fare
and a hotel room if needed).  We have had students go on interviews this year
to a number of schools (in programs in microbiology/biochemistry, etc.).  So
at least in these areas its not that unusual.

Mike McCann