Chlamydomonas

Teresa Dou teresad at unixg.ubc.ca
Fri Oct 20 19:13:04 EST 1995

I have performed an experiment on the Chlamydomonas.  I 've prepared
three different solutions of different pH.  The first one is around pH 5,
the second is around pH 9.5  and the control (Chlamydomonas medium) is
about pH 6.5.  The amount of oxygen produced by the Chlamydomonas in the
acidic solution is higher than the basic one.  Why does this happen?
Will the Chlamydomonas capable to live an environment that is affected by
the acid rain? or in an environment that is polluted by commercial
substances (basic solution, ie. soap, detergent)?  How do they cope with
the chemicals?  What are the range of their pH (ability to tolerate other
toxic substances/chemicals?

Can you also suggest articles or texts or experiments which deal with this
topic?

Thank you very much!