Enzyme Question (fwd)

Joshua Park park at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Tue Oct 24 15:17:42 EST 1995

I'm a ninth grader and I would appreciate some help.

This test would involve Hydrogen Peroxide.

1. If we put in a 'pea-sized' amount of liver, potato, chicken, and apple,
to their respective test tubes, how 'fast' would their reactions be?

Assigning a numerical value from 0-5 with 5 being the fastest, how would
one assign a number?

Example:
Liver 4
Potato X
Chicken Y
APPLE Z

2. At what temperature do enzymes catalyze most efficiently?
37 C?

Using the same numerical system, how would one assign the rate of enzyme
activity in:

a) O degrees Centigrade
b) 22 (room temperature)
c) 37 (Body temp.)
d) 100 (Boiling)

3. At what pH do enzyme work the most efficiently?

a) 3
b) 10
c) 7

Also, using the same numerical system, how would one assign the values for
the rate of enzyme activity in the respective pH?

I appreciate your responses. Thanks you.

-Joshua-