drawing plasmids

Brian Fristensky frist
Wed Oct 25 16:25:51 EST 1995

amuelle3 at gwdu19.gwdg.de (Arne Mueller ) wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm loking for a free software to draw plasmids (and linear DNA) with
>gen-loci etc ... . I use xfig, but it's difficult to point out loci with the
>exact length eithin the plasmid. Perhaps you know a latex packet that ca do
>this or another free software. Please send me a mail.

I routinely use TGIF for the same purpose. It's a free Unix
drawing program. I don't know the FTP site for it, but when
the program starts it tells you the email address of the author:

William Chia-Wei Cheng (william at cs.ucla.edu)

To see some examples of TGIF-generated plasmid figures, look
at my web page listed below under 'Clones'.

While you're there, you can follow the links to web pages describing
the strike by the faculty here at the Univ. of Manitoba. The
faculty is protesting what we percieve as a power grab by the
adminstration that would effectively eliminate tenure and
allow "downsizing" by layoffs, with no mandatory provisions
for faculty input regarding how downsizing would occur.
The administration has set up a web page with their own
press releases at

http://www.umanitoba.ca/UMAdmin/strike.html

They have demonstrated their lack of commitment to academic
freedom by refusing to allow the Faculty Association
to include its own web page on the University system.
We now have a web page on a commercial server:

http://www.xpressnet.com/umfa/

I urge readers to take a look at these pages. What's
happening to us today may happen to your university
tomorrow.

Brian Fristensky                |  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do
Department of Plant Science     |  the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple
University of Manitoba          |  with ineffable itself, and see if
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  we may not eff it after all."
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    | Douglas Adams, DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC
FAX:            204-261-5732    |           DETECTIVE AGENCY
http://www.umanitoba.ca/Agriculture/Plant_Science/Fristensky/Fristensky.html