Life Duty Death & Denial

Marty G. Price mprice at Ra.MsState.Edu
Mon Sep 18 10:57:48 EST 1995

On 18 Sep 1995, John DeLaughter wrote:

> The most likely result of Erubus erupting would be a sea-level rise.  When
> Erebus goes, it will release an awful lot of heat, which will allow the
> Antarctic ice cap to melt on the bottom, which will help it flow off of
> land and into the water - poof!  Instant sea-level jump.  (NOT good!)
> And, as monitoring of the emmissions from Pinatubo has shown, volcanic
> CO2 does not exert a long range (>5 yr) influence on climate.

Layman's question, don't be surprised if I sound a trace off the wall:
Would/could an Antarctic ice cap melt (as you described or from global
warming) cause an ice age---i.e., ice cap flows onto sea, lowers ocean
temperature, causing abrupt global cooling?

Curious, but I don't want to dump the Antarctic ice cap into the ocean to
find out.

Blessed Be,

Red Deer