DNA computational analysis

David P. Frederiksen David_P._Frederiksen at ums.supernet.ab.ca
Wed Sep 20 12:13:49 EST 1995

I am a 4th yr undergrad in Genetics who is taking a Comp Sci course on using
the "net" to solve an academic problem. With my background I want to take a
nuleic acid seq. and do homology, seq. alignment and get some inference about
secondary and possibly tertiary structure.  Does anyone know of any intro
topics on the net for this and any bks that would be useful for someone who
is green in thsi area? I have use of a DEC workstation and Unix systems.
What protocols would one use? I realize there a numerous

programs avail at alot of ftp sites but they are poorly explained. Any help
is greatly appreciated G. Mckenzie  GMckenzie at trentu.ca

    I am also a 4th year undergrad doing computational DNA and protein work.
Although, mine is in the area of Virology.  If you find anything interesting,
software and utilities, please let me know too.  I am trying to develop the
evolutionary history of the hepatitis B virus so cladistics software would be
helpful as well.

Thanks
Dave