UNIVERSITY & HOSPITAL ENDOWMENTS

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Fri Apr 5 10:30:09 EST 1996

University and Hospital endowments notoriously earn low interest rates.

It is not clear to me why a small portion of these funds are not
used to fund worthy research within their institutions;
thus allowing for the realization of future profits.

Except that perhaps everyone depends upon our uncle Sam for this purpose.

Why invest your own money if you can invest someone else's?

 Bert Gold, Ph.D.                         "If only we stay with that principle
 University of California, San Francisco   which counsels us always to hold
 School of Medicine                        to the difficult, then that which
 Department of Pediatrics                  now seems to us most foreign, will
 Program in Medical Genetics               become what we most trust and
 (415) 476-2850                            find most faithful." - R.M. Rilke