Sonic The Hedgehog

Dr. A. Jamie Cuticchia jamie at mitretek.org
Mon Apr 8 07:03:16 EST 1996

Jason Ploof wrote:

> I am a first year college biology student and have been given
> the assignment;  Find out what Sonic the Hedgehog is.  No,
> not the video game.  It is something related to biology.
> Help!!!!!

This is taken from the Online version of Mendelian Inheritance in Man.
This resource is available from the NCBI at:

	http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

A. Jamie Cuticchia

-----------------------------------

Gene Map Locus: 7q36

Note: pressing the  symbol will find the citations in the NCBI MEDLINE
subset whose text most closely matches the
text of the preceding OMIM paragraph, using the Entrez MEDLINE
neighboring function.

TEXT

The organization and morphology of the developing embryo are established
through a series of inductive interactions
(Marigo et al., 1995). One family of vertebrate genes has been described
related to the Drosophila gene 'hedgehog' (hh)
that encodes inductive signals during embryogenesis (Echelard et al.,
1993; Roelink et al., 1994). 'Hedgehog' encodes a
secreted protein that is involved in establishing cell fates at several
points during Drosophila development. There are 3
known mammalian homologs of hh: sonic hedgehog (Shh), Indian hedgehog
(Ihh), and desert hedgehog (Dhh)
(Echelard et al., 1993). Like its Drosophila cognate, Shh encodes a
signal that is instrumental in patterning the early
embryo. It is expressed in Hensen's node, the floorplate of the neural
tube, the early gut endoderm, the posterior of the
limb buds, and throughout the notochord. It has been implicated as the
key inductive signal in patterning of the ventral
neural tube (Echelard et al., 1993; Roelink et al., 1994), the
anterior-posterior limb axis (Riddle et al., 1993), and the
ventral somites (Johnson et al., 1994).

The mouse, chicken, and zebrafish Shh homologs are highly conserved
(Marigo et al., 1995). Their functional properties
appear to be conserved as well. Their probable importance in
embryogenesis additionally suggests that alterations in
the human hedgehog genes might be involved in congenital anomalies.
Marigo et al. (1995) isolated human cDNA
clones of the SHH and IHH (600726) genes. The SHH clone encoded a
protein 92.4% identical to its mouse homolog.
The IHH clone encoded a protein 94.6% identical to its mouse homolog.
IHH was expressed in adult kidney and liver.
SHH expression was not detected in adult tissues examined; however, it
was expressed in fetal intestine, liver, lung, and
kidney. By PCR analysis of DNA from a panel of rodent/human somatic cell
hybrids, Marigo et al. (1995) assigned SHH
to 7q and IHH to chromosome 2. SHH was more precisely localized by
linkage studies using a CA repeat sequence
tagged site identified in a P1 genomic clone of SHH in members of a
family with polysyndactyly (triphalangeal
thumb-polysyndactyly syndrome (TPT1); 190605) previously reported by
Tsukurov et al. (1994). SHH was found to be
closely linked but distinct from the TPT1 locus at 7q36; maximum lod
score = 4.82 at theta = 0.05. It was tightly linked to
the engrailed-2 locus (EN2; 131310). Marigo et al. (1995) mapped the
mouse homologs Shh, Ihh, and Dhh by linkage
analysis of an interspecific backcross. Shh mapped to a position 0.6 cM
distal to En2 and 1.9 cM distal to Il6 (IL6;
147620) on mouse chromosome 5. This location is closely linked but
distinct from the murine limb mutation Hx and is in
an area with homology of synteny to human 7q36.