Sonic The Hedgehog

Staffan Bergh staffan at biochem.kth.se
Wed Apr 10 01:11:50 EST 1996

In article <316A1951.1C0A at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> Dr Richard Stitson
<rnms at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>Sonic Hedgehog is a gene originally discovered in Drosophila (hence
>the unconventional name)

But *why* was it named Sonic Hedgehog?? I've used shh as an example when doing
presentations on what can be found out there in cyberspace, simply because it's
an given laugh when you tie it to the game ... But since Drosophila and cell
biology is not my field I never got round to actually looking up the rationale
behind the name. I *did* look at the abstracts for the papers describing it,
but they don't give any clues ...

/staffan

Staffan Bergh
Biochemistry, KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden

email: staffan at biochem.kth.se           + Don't let that horse eat that violin
phone: int+46 8 790 9230                +               cried Chagall's mother
fax: int+46 8 24 54 52                  + but he kept right on painting
                                        +             -- Lawrence Ferlinghetti

<A HREF="http://www.biochem.kth.se">Webmaster</A> and
<A HREF="http://www.biochem.kth.se/MycDB.html">MycDB maintainer</A>