Sonic The Hedgehog

Andrew Wagner afwagner at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Wed Apr 10 15:16:47 EST 1996

>In article <316A1951.1C0A at> Dr Richard Stitson
><rnms at> writes:
>>Sonic Hedgehog is a gene originally discovered in Drosophila (hence
>>the unconventional name)
>But *why* was it named Sonic Hedgehog??

Hedgehog is a gene in Drosophila (I think it gives them "spiked" hair).
Anyway... some scientists discovered a variant of the gene and, being cute,
borrowed the name Sonic from the Sega Genesis video game, Sonic the
Some people don't get out much...

|elaine prentice             diane brophy|
|jenny flath                andrew wagner|
|perinatal research      meriter hospital|
|dept of obgyn    university of wisconsin|