TRUTH about US R&D SPENDING from BRITISH NATURE

Herman Rubin hrubin at b.stat.purdue.edu
Thu Apr 18 14:34:05 EST 1996

In article <4l3cf6$t3d at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>,
Jim Smolen <jsmolen at bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:
>Bert Gold <bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote:

>>from Nature, 28 March 1996, page 271:
>>(Editorial Page)

>>...If the United States moves to balance its budget without tackling
>>the areas where it actually spends three-quarters of the money
>>-- defence and manditory health and social security programmes
>>-- then science spending will be crushed, along with much else of
>>value that the federal government does.

>Nice to see some straight talking on the subject.

We need to get the government to ease out of both funding and control
of research, and to encourage private funding by both for-profit and
non-profit voluntary organizations.

The government should never have gotten into it in the first place.

hrubin at stat.purdue.edu	 Phone: (317)494-6054	FAX: (317)494-0558