software program to compare DNA sequences?

Brian Fristensky frist
Thu Apr 18 17:26:59 EST 1996

ncoodin at mbnet.mb.ca wrote:
>I teach grade 12 biology and am looking for a software program which my students can use to compare gene sequences from different organisms.

I still distribute a DOS version of my FSAP package, although
I no longer update it. FSAP programs can directly read GenBank
files downloaded from the net, and perform general sequence
tasks such as printing and translating sequences, restriction
digests, and similarity comparisons.

FSAP can be obtained by anonymous FTP to ftp.cc.umanitoba.ca, in
directory psgendb. It is also available directly through the Web
at the URL listed below. Click on 'SOFTWARE' and 'FSAP' at that
site for more information.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     |  The optimist proclaims that we live in
University of Manitoba          |  the best of all possible worlds. The
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  pessimist fears that this is true.
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  James Branch Cabell (1879-1958)
FAX:            204-261-5732    |
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/