John Edstrom edstrom at
Fri Apr 19 13:09:49 EST 1996

In article <4l65fd$23m8 at>,
	hrubin at (Herman Rubin) writes:
>In article <4l3cf6$t3d at>,
>Jim Smolen <jsmolen at> wrote:
>>Bert Gold <bgold at> wrote:
>>>from Nature, 28 March 1996, page 271:
>>>(Editorial Page)
>>>...If the United States moves to balance its budget without tackling
>>>the areas where it actually spends three-quarters of the money
>>>-- defence and manditory health and social security programmes
>>>-- then science spending will be crushed, along with much else of
>>>value that the federal government does.
>>Nice to see some straight talking on the subject.
>We need to get the government to ease out of both funding and control
>of research, and to encourage private funding by both for-profit and
>non-profit voluntary organizations.

Yes, by all means!  We need more of the high-quality research that altruistic
and efficient private enterprises provide.  Let the fine, objective and
painstaking work done by the tobacco industry on the pharmacology of nicotine
addiction and tobacco-related health risks, along with the candor and openness
with which they selflessly shared the fruits of their labor, stand as a
shining example of what we can expect from such a glorious future.

>The government should never have gotten into it in the first place.
>Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907-1399
>hrubin at	 Phone: (317)494-6054	FAX: (317)494-0558

 John Edstrom | edstrom @
 "Lurker" at BioMOO (

 Hatfield Marine Science Center
 2030 S. Marine Science Drive