TRUTH about US R&D SPENDING from BRITISH NATURE

John Edstrom edstrom at slugo.hmsc.orst.edu
Fri Apr 19 13:09:49 EST 1996

In article <4l65fd$23m8 at b.stat.purdue.edu>,
	hrubin at b.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
>In article <4l3cf6$t3d at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>,
>Jim Smolen <jsmolen at bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:
>>Bert Gold <bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>
>>>from Nature, 28 March 1996, page 271:
>>>(Editorial Page)
>

>>>...If the United States moves to balance its budget without tackling
>>>the areas where it actually spends three-quarters of the money
>>>-- defence and manditory health and social security programmes
>>>-- then science spending will be crushed, along with much else of
>>>value that the federal government does.
>
>>Nice to see some straight talking on the subject.
>
>We need to get the government to ease out of both funding and control
>of research, and to encourage private funding by both for-profit and
>non-profit voluntary organizations.

Yes, by all means!  We need more of the high-quality research that altruistic
and efficient private enterprises provide.  Let the fine, objective and
painstaking work done by the tobacco industry on the pharmacology of nicotine
addiction and tobacco-related health risks, along with the candor and openness
with which they selflessly shared the fruits of their labor, stand as a
shining example of what we can expect from such a glorious future.

>The government should never have gotten into it in the first place.
>

>--
>Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907-1399
>hrubin at stat.purdue.edu	 Phone: (317)494-6054	FAX: (317)494-0558

je

---
 John Edstrom | edstrom @ slugo.hmsc.orst.edu

 http://www.hmsc.orst.edu/~edstrom
 "Lurker" at BioMOO (bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il:8888)

 Hatfield Marine Science Center
 2030 S. Marine Science Drive
 Newport, Oregon     97365-5296
 wk: (541) 867 0197