TRUTH about US R&D SPENDING from BRITISH NATURE

Troy Shinbrot shinbrot at nwu1.edu
Thu Apr 18 22:35:24 EST 1996

In article <4l65fd$23m8 at b.stat.purdue.edu>, hrubin at b.stat.purdue.edu
(Herman Rubin) wrote:

> In article <4l3cf6$t3d at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>,
> Jim Smolen <jsmolen at bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:
> >Bert Gold <bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>
> >>from Nature, 28 March 1996, page 271:
> >>(Editorial Page)
>

> >>...If the United States moves to balance its budget without tackling
> >>the areas where it actually spends three-quarters of the money
> >>-- defence and manditory health and social security programmes
> >>-- then science spending will be crushed, along with much else of
> >>value that the federal government does.
>
> >Nice to see some straight talking on the subject.
>
> We need to get the government to ease out of both funding and control
> of research, and to encourage private funding by both for-profit and
> non-profit voluntary organizations.
>
> The government should never have gotten into it in the first place.

As I have said before, you first Dr. Rubin.  I'll be happy to see you turn
back the money that was spent by the government on your education; I'll be
happy to see your department turn back the money that goes toward your
support, direct and indirect, and I'll be really delighted to see private
funding for any kind of long term research.  No company paid to put a man
on the moon; no company paid for basic cancer research; no company paid
for research into the cause of asbestosis; no company paid for research
into sources of lead poisoning of children, and no company paid for the
development of the internet that you are happily using to lambaste public
funding for research.

Don't be a hypocrite.  Either stop feeding at the public trough or stop
complaining about where the food is coming from.  Take your pick; you
can't have it both ways.

-Troy