Nailbiting question

Kristie Allen kla at RIVERS.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Thu Apr 18 19:30:53 EST 1996

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, S J Holton wrote:

> Could anybody tell me whether excessive chewing of nails is detrimental
> to ones health.  Surely such action will stimulate the stomach into
> producing excess digestive juices in anticipation of the expected food,
> but with no food arriving, the stomach will damage itself?
> Also I have noticed that people who excessively chew there nails suffer from a
> subsquent loss in ability to memorise facts. Is there any known basis for
> such observations?
>
> Thankyou

Hi
This is Kristie,

I have a few theories (or maybe thoughts is a better word) on this
subject.  The lack of ability to memorize facts may actually be from a
lack of attention paid to the facts since attention is on the
nail-biting.  I am a nail biter but there does not seem to be anything
wrong with my memory, just my attention span ;) !

There are health problems that can develop from nail-biting, though.  I
had big problems when traveling out of the country.  Its very
unsanitary, and I contracted several consecutive cases of worms.  I
stopped biting for the time being!

Kristie Allen
Biology Dept., MSU
Bozeman, MT  59717