TRUTH about US R&D SPENDING from BRITISH NATURE

Jim Smolen jsmolen at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Apr 19 09:52:41 EST 1996

"Arthur E. Sowers" <arthures at access.digex.net> wrote:

>An analysis of government spending, and its ideology, is a more complex
>issue, but I favor more government spending on science, and in
>particular, basic research. If I could see the government getting out of
>something, its the programatically controlled spending, not the spending,
>per se.

Agreed. It is certain that the programatically controlled spending,
which will continue to increase (under current policy), will
eventually eat up everything else, including science. Truly tragic...

But I don't think that the issues are all that complex. The trends
leading to this situation, and to which the Nature editorial allude,
have been obvious for at least two decades now. It just takes time for
exponential growth to reach fruition.

Jim