TRUTH about US R&D SPENDING from BRITISH NATURE

Troy Shinbrot shinbrot at nwu1.edu
Tue Apr 23 09:46:52 EST 1996

In article <4lgn2f$dt2 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, jsmolen at bcm.tmc.edu wrote:

<snip>

> I also read that increases in entitlements (according to
> "normal", programmed growth) ate up every cent of the post-Cold War
> peace dividend.
>
> Jim

This is indeed one point of view; I think it important to point out though
that it is only a point of view, and it is not the only one.  For example
in my point of view it was INTEREST ON THE DEFICIT BROUGHT TO US BY THE
REAGAN-BUSH ADMINISTRATION that ate up our budget.  Just to put things in
perspective, this accounts for an increase of $3 Trillion in the national
debt, or roughly $300 Billion in annual expenditures.  ALL of the NIH and
NSF budgets for the year account for under $4 Billion.

To put this another way, my wife bought a winter coat in December and I
bought some boots.  Shall I say that she ate up our spending allowance for
the month?  Less, perhaps, than a fair characterization...

-Troy