losing species

Kristie Allen kla at RIVERS.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Wed Apr 24 12:34:14 EST 1996

Ralf,

I don't see how we can be reaching a new equilibrium before humans have
reached carrying capacity.  The new equilibrium will only become
apparent after our population has stabilized.  By the time that
is accomplished, the other species on the planet will have been decimated.
It may be a new equilibrium, but it will most likely not be a favorable
one as far as the rest of the species are concerned, unless of course we
decide to stabilize human population growth ourselves with regulation of
our birth rate.

I am still a great believer in the resiliance of species to adaptively
radiate into many new species when the opportunity presents itself,
and it is possible that the niches available will be subdivided again and
again to reproductively isolate subspecies to allow for speciation,
however, we won't see it happen in the next thousand years or so.

Kristie L. Allen
Environmental Statistics Group
Biology Department
Montana State University