WHAT I PROPOSED, WHAT WAS DECIDED.

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Thu Apr 25 19:58:30 EST 1996

<WHAT I PROPOSED>

 April 4, 1996

 Mr. Richard Nicholson
 Executive Officer
 American Association for the Advancement of Science
 1333 H Street
 Washington, DC 20005

 Dear Mr. Nicholson,

 Thank you for our telephone conversation earlier today.

 I am writing you now in order to confirm to you that during our conversation
 I proposed that a meeting be held in Woods Hole, Massachusetts at the
 Marine Biological Laboratory in September, 1996 in order that attendees draft
 a concensus statement on:

                         "Funding and Fairness"
 And that,

 (1) The meeting be co-sponsored by the AAAS and the AAUP (American Association
     of University Professors).

 (2) The meeting be attended by a limited number of scientists representing a
     great diversity of views on these subjects.

 (3) A dispassionate, disinterested, non-directive, non-scientist expert in
     human relations be engaged to moderate and facilitate the drafting of a
     concensus statement.

 (4) The press not be permitted to attend.

 (5) That the concensus statement be drafted by the meeting in time for
     public release so that it may to be incorporated into the national
     political debate before the next election.

 I told you during our conversation that I am seeking an
 'agreement in principle' that such a meeting be held from your
 organization and from the American Association of University
 Professors.  And that, subsequent to receiving an 'agreement in principle',
 which couldbe delivered verbally or in writing,  a detailed proposal for
 holding the meeting would be drafted by me and circulated to the
 recipients of this letter (Dr. Burris, Dr. Perley
 or his organization, and you) for input and approval.

 Mr. Rihard Nicholson              Page Two               April 4, 1996

 I also told you that I know and believe that holding such a meeting and
 drafting such a statement will have a profound effect upon the future of
 American Science.

 I welcome questions concerning my proposal from you, your staff and boards
 and all who review this letter.

 I can be reached at (415) 863-4650 at home, (415) 476-2850 at
 UCSF or email at bgold at itsa.uscsf.edu

 I'm certain that you understand that in this sort of proposal, with such
 complex logistics, time of your response is of the essence.

 I look forward to your favorable reply.

 I am,

 Sincerely,

 Bert Gold, Ph.D.

 Copies to:  Dr. John Burris, Executive Director, Marine Biological Laboratory,
             Woods Hole, MA
             Dr. James Perley, President, American Association of
             University Professors

<WHAT WAS DECIDED>

NIH GUIDE - Vol. 25, No. 12 - April 19, 1996

$$INDEX BEGIN *******************************************************

                               NOTICES

$$INDEX N1 **********************************************************

SYMPOSIUM ON THE PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE OF PEER REVIEW
National Institutes of Health
Division of Research Grants
INDEX:  NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH

$$N1 BEGIN **********************************************************

SYMPOSIUM ON THE PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE OF PEER REVIEW

NIH GUIDE, Volume 25, Number 12, April 19, 1996

P.T. 42; K.W. 1014006, 1014004

National Institutes of Health
Division of Research Grants

1996 is the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Division of
Research Grants.  The National Institutes of Health and the Division
of Research Grants are marking this occasion with a symposium on the
Past, Present, and Future of Peer Review.  This symposium will be
held Thursday, June 20 at the Natcher Conference Center on the
Bethesda campus of NIH.  The symposium will start at 8:30 a.m. and
conclude with a reception at the Natcher Center in the late
afternoon.  this is an opportunity for colleagues, friends, and
others to discuss fifty years of excellence in peer review and its
impact on biomedical research.

The agenda and registration information are available on the DRG home
page - http://www.drg.nih.gov - or by requesting information from the
address listed under INQUIRIES.  There is no fee for the symposium,
but advance registration is required.  The registration deadline is
May 31, 1996.

The Natcher facility is fully accessible in compliance with the
Americans with Disabilities Act.

INQUIRIES

Suzanne E. Fisher, Ph.D.
Division of Research Grants