TRUTH about US R&D SPENDING from BRITISH NATURE

Herman Rubin hrubin at b.stat.purdue.edu
Fri Apr 26 16:27:20 EST 1996

In article <4lo1bd$rt2 at madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu>,
Jonathan Stott <jjs17 at po.cwru.edu> wrote:
>In article <4lmbpt$3svm at b.stat.purdue.edu>,
>Herman Rubin <hrubin at b.stat.purdue.edu> wrote:

>>The Japanese are not funding much research; they are funding development.
>>Research does not often produce products directly.  Sometimes it take
>>decades or even centuries for research to have useful results.

>The US and Japan are the top two countries in per-capita spending on
>basic research.  I see articles from japanese universities every time I
>go through journals.  May I humbly suggest that you really have no idea
>what you're talking about here?

If that were the case, there should be at least 40% as many articles
from Japanese universities as American universities.

Japan knows that its educational system is not doing a good job in
producing research people.  The question is, how to change it.  I do
not know enough about Japanese research funding and its processes to
comment.  In my fields, Japan is not at all strong.
hrubin at stat.purdue.edu	 Phone: (317)494-6054	FAX: (317)494-0558