Bio-Techno-Fear (or Re: Genetic engineering?)

Jarrod Stenberg sten0013 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Sun Dec 1 18:33:39 EST 1996

---------
I have recently developed an interest in the emergent biotechnologies,
specifically genetic engineering.  This is difficult to avoid considering
the amount of information that flows in the newspapers and even on the
increasingly schlocky TV news.  Bio-technologies also have begun to
blanket all aspects of human life, ranging from medicine and
pharmaceuticals (AIDS protease techs in the news), food processing,
agriculture (vigile ante virus that kill pests and herbicidal resistant
produce) and so forth.  The debate has reached all the way to the Pope
regarding in vitro fertilization particlularly when applied to gene
screening (=selection), prompting scientists to consider that filthy word
morality, which is apparently made innocuous by dilligent ethics.

This is very abbreviated and I will put forth a larger effort by the end
of the week as regards my interest.  I hope to promote a thread specific
to this interest in the mean time.

In researching the subject, I have found that much of the literature has
difficulty concealing a bias towards biotechnology with a flavour of big
business.  The trend is to accuse public  ignorance for a strain of
techno-fear which in this case would be bio-techno-fear.

I appreciate those who will sincerely promote this thread.  I welcome any
view as I expect from this group.

Thanks,
-jarrod

--