Largest mammalian litter size?

Laurie Davison ldavison at pop.uky.edu
Wed Dec 4 13:17:06 EST 1996

Wow!!!
  ...Uh... What's a tailless tenrec? And is 34 anywhere near "normal" for
mice?
   I was frantically digging into my journal articles thinking the
largest litter might be the opposum, but the tenrec beat 'possums hands
down:) FYI - since these creatures fascinate me - the opposum ranges 9-17
teats (they have an odd number) and can have as many surviving offspring
as there are teats. The record as far as what I've found in my reading is
25 live births, but generally a small percentage actually make it to a
pouch (thus a teat). Just thought I'd share:)

Laurie