home pregnancy tests

Jack H. Pincus jhpincus at cris.com
Thu Dec 5 18:48:35 EST 1996

On 5 Dec 1996 16:56:22 GMT, jimt12 at aol.com wrote:

>My name is Leticia. I am a senior at Alabama A&M University working on my
>senior chemical research project.  I am trying to determine the chemistry
>behind home pregnancy tests.  Any information and assistance will be
>greatly appreciated.

Home pregnancy tests are a variation of the clinical assays for HCG
(Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin), a hormone that is produced during
pregnancy.  HCG is measured by an immunoassay which uses an antibody
to HCG to detect and measure it.  The way measurements are made varies
with the kit, but in all cases, kits measure HCG by determining its
interaction with the antibody.

If you contact the manufacturers of any of the kits they will provide
you with information about how their products work.

--
Jack H. Pincus
jhpincus at cris.com