Want to know about Hepatitis virus..

William Tivol tivol at news.wadsworth.org
Thu Dec 5 13:09:05 EST 1996

Takbum Ohn (ahnss at hitel.kol.co.kr) wrote:

: Some days ago, i knew that i was infected by hepatitis virus but i having a
: normal liver capability.
: Just infected not having contagiousness.

: Though i am a little life scientist, i don't know about characters about
: Hepatitis virus except that it has a two faces related to contagiousness.

: Are there any one who can say the characteristics in regard to
: contagiousness?

Dear Takbum,
	Some years ago I came down with Hepatitis A.  This is a very debili-
tating, contageous disease, and all of my friends with whom I had had meals
or passed around beers at the softball games had to get immunized.  I had a
very mild case, which means that I only spent a week of complete bed rest
and a few months recovery.
	Hepatitis B is transmitted by much more intimate contact and is much
more severe.  It is usually transmitted via body fluid exchange, and has a
significant mortality rate.
	Hepatitis C (and other non-A, non-B Hepatitis) is of intermediate
severity.  It is usually transmitted by body fluid exchange, but may also
occur from contaminated water supplies following a disaster, such as a flood.
	Recovery from Hepatitis A is usually complete, but for all the other
types, there is usually permanent liver damage (as there can be for type A).
Do not fool around with this disease; it can be very serious.  Good luck.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol