Advice about PhD Thesis

The Great American Gene Company geneco at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 5 20:03:03 EST 1996

In <32A85A3B.2634 at bendigo.latrobe.edu.au> user <user at bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
writes:

>I have been doing a part-time PhD thesis for almost 9 years. During that
>time I have published a number of papers  based on work for my thesis.
>I am about to write up my thesis, but need some advice. In the review of
>the literature that will be included, do I refer to my published
papers
>that refer to material that belongs to the thesis OR do I carefully
>excise any reference to my published work until describing it in
greater
>detail in the thesis proper?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Jacques Soddell

Dear Jacques:

I can tell you from experience.  You do BOTH.  You MUST provide great
detail in your dissertation, but it goes a long way to be able to
reference your own papers.  This is especially true when the published
papers have peer-reviewed.  For one thing, it takes a great deal of
heat off your committee members, since portions of the work have
already passed peer-review.

-Mike MacDonell, Ph.D.

| "Stupidity is the basic building block of the Universe" |
|                                           -Frank Zappa  |