Advice about PhD Thesis

Thu Dec 5 21:41:53 EST 1996

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, user wrote:

> I have been doing a part-time PhD thesis for almost 9 years. During that
> time I have published a number of papers  based on work for my thesis.
> I am about to write up my thesis, but need some advice. In the review of
> the literature that will be included,

> do I refer to my published papers
> that refer to material that belongs to the thesis OR do I carefully
> excise any reference to my published work until describing it in greater
> detail in the thesis proper?

Being on many PhD defence committees I can tell you that
the PhD thesis in which the author DOES NOT refer to his/her
PUBLISHED work usually make quite poor impression. If the work
is of any value it should and must be ALREADY published and
certainly it should be broadly reflected in the thesis.
It is to your credit that you seem already pubished quite
a bit. In my judgement it will strengthen your case if
you discuss your published work in details.

Don't listen to those who disadvise you do this - only
people with twisted minds and perverted logic can "suggest"
that you have to obscure your own work (by whatever reason).
It occures to me (though I am not certain) that I have
heard something to the effect that some universities may
have rules against including YOUR published work in YOUR
PhD thesis. If so, these restrictions are designed by
idiots for idiotic reasons. Hope, it's not in your place.

Best wishes - Alex Berezin