predisposed -v- learnt

Alan Peyton-Smith 100351.3267 at compuserve.com
Sat Dec 7 02:31:58 EST 1996

thomasr at topaz.cqu.edu.au (Roger Thomas) wrote:

>In article <3NEpycBTKMTS089yn at ibm.net>, parker0 at ibm.net (Paul Parker) writes:
>> In article <1996Nov24.085249 at topaz>,
>> thomasr at topaz.cqu.edu.au (Roger Thomas) wrote:
>>>In article <m+4lycBTKQyN089yn at ibm.net>, parker0 at ibm.net (Paul Parker) writes:
>>
>> ---deletions---
>>
>> The earlier deletions referred to reports on studies in the USA linking
>> aggresive behaviour with serotonin levels,  establishing this was both
>> inheritable characteristic and treatable.
>> Other inheritable and treatable genetic links exist.

>> We can leave this issue - we can all learn bad habits, more as this
>> is not relevant directly to the issues raised below.

>Except I'd comment that in a family where all members are raised
>under the same circumstances there are often *marked* differences
>in behaviour/disposition.

>>>Facts don't have to be palatable :-)
>>>
>>>Assuming the hypothesis is established the next step is to do something
>>>about correcting serotonin levels in individuals who are suffering.
>
>> Sorry as not clear enough.  My concern was not serotonin levels
>> influencing a persons behaviour or predisposition to particular - for
>> example aggressive, behaviour.
>>
>> Was reflecting on the debate re race, the usual derogatory comments
>> over certain behaviours being normal - or at the time being abnormal,
>> for people of a particular race.

>Realised that.   'Dour Scot' etc (why wouldn't you be dour if you
>had to live in that climate! :-)

>> In our discussions on racial issues we have dodged questions :
>>
>> 	1)  	whether exists genetic identifiers for race;

>Probably.

A la Murray and Herrnstein?(sp?)

>> 	2)	whether such gentic identifier - if exist,  might be
>> 		linked to any behavioural characteristic;

>Possibly.

Oprah Winfrey stated publicly that African Americans, as a racial
group, are very much pre-disposed towards using violence.

>> 	3)	whether any genetic identifier should be linked to
>> 		rights of individuals;

>NO way.

Why not? If it can be shown that a certain racial group is less
endowed intellectually, then why not give them special advantages,
such as the various "race norming" policies in the good old USA?

<Zipping up my flame-retardant suit..>

<snip>

"This year will go down in history.  For the first time a Civilised
nation has  full gun registration!!   Our streets will be safer, our
police more  efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the
future!"
                            Adolf Hitler (1889 -1945)