Australia-China Institutional Links Program Seeking for Collaborative Australia Institutions

Jiang Yan jiangyan at cdisn.cd.sc.cn
Wed Dec 18 09:35:47 EST 1996

According to the agreement between Chinese Government and Australia Government,
Australian Agency for International Development(AusAID)will provide $A4,000,000 for 20
Chinese-Australia research project. Now the ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic
Cooperation and State Education Commission  of China listed my Institution as an
application unit. As the rule of the program I must find a collaborative Institution in
Australia.

    My institution named the National Lab for Grassland Biological Control in Sichuan
University. The following is a brief introduction of my institution.

    "National Lab for Grassland Biological Control " in Sichuan University,is one of the
World Bank Loan important science developing projects.In 1990,with the comment of
relation experts and the ratification of the government, it cost 430,000SDR from W.B.
loan,and 1,800,000RMP from the government. From 1991 to now,according to the feasibility
report and implement plan,this project had been successfully finished.This not only laid
good foundation for our research and education work,but also developed our research and
education work and academic interchange.With the advanced equipments parchased from the
W.B.loan,the research terms of our Lab.was ameliorated, in addition academic interchange
and technical assistance, developed the research and education level,apply important
subjects. Now let's get brief summary:

    First.The research had made noticeable improvement,both in range and depth,and have
setup the distinguishing feature science system of "grass biotechnology".The foundation
of this project made us powerful to strive for,accept and undertake more subjects,get
more funds, and obtain more research achievement(See table 1).The number of subjects,
funds,and achievements in 1991-1995 are twice than that in 1986-1990.
     Table 1.The research in recent 10 years
     Items                         1991--1995    1986--1990
Research subjects and funds

National science and technology
           subject                     5             1
National science fund                 14             5
Important subject form
province and ministry                 17             9
International co-operation
subject                               2              /
The other subject                     5              2

Total of subjects                     43             17
Total of funds(not includ
international co-operation            600            120
subjects) (10 thousand yuan)

research achievements
Appraisal                             15              5
Prize                                  7              4
research papers                       300            100
Treaties                                5              2

    There are very great develop in the research contain.In the past, we did work in the
biocontrol of grassland rodden,disease and insect pests, and grassland protect.Now we
can research the crux of grassland especially the protecting,building and developing of
qing-zhang plateau from different level: from molecular, cellar,individual and
population.

    Second.With the precision equipments,stable research direction and experienced
teachers,we have get marked progress in education,consummated the education manage
system,trained lot of graduate students for Dr.and Ms. degree and foreign students(See
table 2).
    Table 2. The education in recent 10 years
      Items                      1991-1995       1986-1990
Number of graduate students

Accepted graduate students
for Dr.degree                    22(female 5)          8
Graduate Student for
Dr.dgree in school(Sept.1995)       16                 /
Accept G.S.for MS.degree         52(female 23)         36
G.S.for MS.degree in school
(Sept.1995)                         31                  /
Accepted foreign students           7                   /
G.S.for Dr.degree from other
school work in the Lab.             7                   /

Education system

Tutors for G.S.for Dr.degree        3                   1
Majors for G.S.for Dr.degree        3                   1
Tutors for G.S.for Ms.degree        8                   4
Majors for G.S.for MS.degree        3                   3

    1.Teachers group:There are 25 fellow in this Lab,4 professors,8     associate
professors. 2 professors and 8 associate professors were admitted during this project
going.There are 3 majors for graduate students for Dr.degree, they are plant  genetics
and grassland ,3 tutors for graduate students for Dr.degree,8 tutors for Ms.degree.part
of the majors and tutors were admitted during this project.
    2.The number of accepted graduated students exceeded the guota.From 1991-1995, we
accepted 22(female 5) students for Dr.degree,52(female 23) for MS.degree, far exceeded
the number of 1986-1990.we have accepted 7 foreign students from Germany, Korea,
Pakistan,Thailand and Nepal.In addition,we also accepted some students for Dr.degree
form other Lab.  working in this Lab to finish their research paper.

   The third.The academic interchange and technical co-operation got forward(See table
3).
      Items                    1991-1995      1986-1990

    1.We get in touch with universities and institutes for academic interchange,
technical co-operation and teacher train from many countries USA, England, Germany,
Australian, New Zealand,Italy and our country.From 1991,we took part in international
congresses 3-4 times very year,sent 1-2 person to get training or visit in other
countries.Now there are still 8 young experts study and work in other countrsies.Invited
10 foreign experts coming to get open lectures in our Lab.

    The aim:
    1.For this Lab. has just been setup,we should develop research,educate manage and
instrument manage in order to make perfect use of the invisible function and make more
progress in work.
    2.Enhance the touch with national and international institutes in academic
interchange and other aspects,in order to make it to be an openning Lab. recently.
    3.Prefectly make use of the research condition,set up the research in subjects of
high-level technology.In the meantime,enhance the contact with high-level technology
products factories,in order to make the research achievements become to products.Make
the Lab. to be "National Biopesticide recearch centre".
    4.Geting the person training,include researchers and managers,enhance the group's
ability,and accept new experts.

    The project we are interested in is the environmental biological control and
development. Now we want to study several subtitles especially in the construction of a
transgenomic plant from the GPD gene in a kind of alga-Dunaliella salina, key technology
in anti Taenia Sodium which wide spread in human and animal range from 30% to 80% in
more than ten provinces in Chines countryside and the development of the biological
pesticide for harmful insects and rodden in the grassland. All the above projects are
also aided by the National Science Foundation in China.

    If anyone who may concern with the collaboration, please contact me for more details
and we may do more discussion. And if someone wants to know more about the
Australia-China Institutional Links Program, please contact Australian Agency for
International Development.