Richard Dawkins

Richard F. Hall realistic at seanet.com
Sat Dec 21 20:29:44 EST 1996

In article <cam.ac.uk-1612961657180001 at 131.111.39.111> cam.ac.uk at news.cam.ac.uk (A. Caian) writes:
>From: cam.ac.uk at news.cam.ac.uk (A. Caian)
>Subject: Richard Dawkins and hypocrisy
>Date: 16 Dec 1996 16:56:20 GMT

>Make sure you tune in to the BBC television broadcast of Carols from
>King's College, Cambridge, on Christmas Eve. If you look very closely you
>might well see Richard Dawkins, arch-atheist, singing away with 'Hark the
>herald angels sing / Glory to the new born King' in the fellows' stall. It
>brought a whole new dimension to my enjoyment of the service; it was akin
>to spotting the Pope at a Black Sabbath concert. No doubt he was thinking,
>as he does of Bach's Mass in B Minor, how much better the music would have
>been had it been written about natural selection.

Perhaps rumors of Mr. Dawkins' "atheism" are grossly over exadurated.  One
quote I've seen (unrelated to Dawkins) was about "I said what I said and
believed it then but I might not believe it now".  As a fan of much of what
Dawkins promotes (as yet I have only had time to read his reviews), he may
love Christians even though he is not one.  Much of Christianity is very
appealing to everyone, basically.  Some of the ideas of The Christ did much to
make our world a better place.  Perhaps he is a Realistic Idealist.

rich
http://www.seanet.com/~reaistic/idealism