Richard Dawkins

Donald L. Blanchard dlblanc at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 23 05:11:49 EST 1996

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996 18:29:44 MST, realistic at seanet.com (Richard F. Hall) wrote:

>In article <cam.ac.uk-1612961657180001 at 131.111.39.111> cam.ac.uk at news.cam.ac.uk (A. Caian) writes:
>>From: cam.ac.uk at news.cam.ac.uk (A. Caian)
>>Subject: Richard Dawkins and hypocrisy
>>Date: 16 Dec 1996 16:56:20 GMT
>
>>Make sure you tune in to the BBC television broadcast of Carols from
>>King's College, Cambridge, on Christmas Eve. If you look very closely you
>>might well see Richard Dawkins, arch-atheist, singing away with 'Hark the
>>herald angels sing / Glory to the new born King' in the fellows' stall. It
>>brought a whole new dimension to my enjoyment of the service; it was akin
>>to spotting the Pope at a Black Sabbath concert. No doubt he was thinking,
>>as he does of Bach's Mass in B Minor, how much better the music would have
>>been had it been written about natural selection.
>
>Perhaps rumors of Mr. Dawkins' "atheism" are grossly over exadurated.  One
>quote I've seen (unrelated to Dawkins) was about "I said what I said and
>believed it then but I might not believe it now".  As a fan of much of what
>Dawkins promotes (as yet I have only had time to read his reviews), he may
>love Christians even though he is not one.  Much of Christianity is very
>appealing to everyone, basically.  Some of the ideas of The Christ did much to
>make our world a better place.  Perhaps he is a Realistic Idealist.
>
>rich
>http://www.seanet.com/~reaistic/idealism

One does not have to be a Christian, nor to believe in any supreme deity, to
appreciate good music, or to desire to participate in its performance.  I se no
irony whatever in an avowed athiest participating in a performance of Christmas
music -- so long as it is GOOD music.

Donald L. Blanchard
Practicing athiest AND music lover.
dlblanc at earthlink.net