Richard Dawkins and hypocrisy

Michael Farthing mf at
Wed Dec 18 09:42:33 EST 1996

In article < at>
  at "A. Caian" writes:

> Make sure you tune in to the BBC television broadcast of Carols from
> King's College, Cambridge, on Christmas Eve. If you look very closely you
> might well see Richard Dawkins, arch-atheist, singing away with 'Hark the
> herald angels sing / Glory to the new born King' in the fellows' stall. It
> brought a whole new dimension to my enjoyment of the service; it was akin
> to spotting the Pope at a Black Sabbath concert. No doubt he was thinking,
> as he does of Bach's Mass in B Minor, how much better the music would have
> been had it been written about natural selection.
What's wrong with hypocrisy?  Its a feature of human behaviour that has
resulted from natural selection and confers a survival advantage on the
possessor.  I do it all the time.  For instance, I like singing Old King
Cole to my baby son, but don't actually believe there was an old King
Cole.  It helps him to go to sleep, however, and that significantly reduces
the possibility of his being throtled (??) by his father.  Damn useful this

Michael Farthing
software house