home pregnancy tests

Anthony Tomlinson tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 06:51:15 EST 1996

In article <32a75d8d.5055621 at news.cris.com> Jack H. Pincus,
jhpincus at cris.com writes:
>My name is Leticia. I am a senior at Alabama A&M University working on my
>>senior chemical research project.  I am trying to determine the chemistry
>>behind home pregnancy tests.  Any information and assistance will be
>>greatly appreciated.

Following the other posts, I believe the test is an ELISA - Enzyme Linked
Immuno-
Sorbent Assay.  Look it up in any undergraduate textbook.  Basically, an
antibidy
to human chorionic gonadotrophin is raised in rabbits(?) by injecting the
hormone
into them, then crosslinked to an enzyme in  a component of the assay
(depends on the kit).  Urine containing HCG will bind to the antibody,
and can
then be detected by the activity of the enzyme, which is generally used
to produce
a colour.  The reaction will depend on the kit.

hope this helps

Anthony