PEER-LESS Science is UN-stoppable

Fri Feb 2 20:55:59 EST 1996

Below is a replica of just-obtained info on an
(electronic ?) journal of hematology. Although
this ad does not detailze the accepatnce proceedure
of this journal (i.e. is there a 'peer-review' of
articles or just a simple no-nonsense check), the
reported time of accepatnce (7 days after the submission)
indicataes that the Editors of this journal are likely
enough enlightened about the fallacy of the so called
"in-depth [ anonymous ] peer review" by the so called
"experts"

[ "experts" = people who know 'why it can't be done',
even if it was just done (huge literature) ]

If so, my congratulations and cheers to the Editors of
this journal. I am sure that the present electronic
environment provides all the needed tools for the
OPEN COMMENTS section of the journal, where each published
paper can be OPENLY, FREELY and PROMPTLY commented upon,
amended, criticised, etc. Such development, if undertaken,
will be an important step towards liberation of science and
free intellectual inquiry from the barbwires of the so
called "Anonymous Peer Review" and (let small but
decisive) step towards the dismantling of the authoritative
control of established grantsmanship old boys networks.

Alexander A. Berezin, PhD
Department of Engineering Physics
McMaster University, Hamilton,
Ontario, Canada, L8S 4L7