What Is Mathematical Biology?

Scott Cain scain at sdcc3.ucsd.edu
Tue Feb 6 12:10:37 EST 1996

In <4f6pf6$h26 at newsreader.wustl.edu> emartin at artsci.wustl.edu (Elizabeth Ann Martin) writes:

>Sounds like it might be interesting. It sounds like it might be
>appropriate for me - math is a strong point and biology is a love- but
>when perusing my course catalog, I can't find anything under this
>heading. I was reading a book on artificial life that touched on what I
>guess could be considered as mathematical biology, i.e. strange
>attractors as points of life origin.  Can anyone clarify what
>mathematical biology is, and recommend any books? Also, if one wanted to
>study mathematical biology, where would one concentrate their biology
>courses?

It is not to surprising that you can't find any courses in
Mathematical Biology, because I doubt that many schools would offer
undergraduate classes in it, and any grad classes would probably be
hidden in seminar type classes.  Basically (and perhaps leaving some
things out), Math Bio is involved in modeling of various biological
systems.  This could be enzyme interactions, cell cultures, or whole
populations.  I can't think of any books off the top of my head, but
you could look at the J. of Theoretical Bio or J. of Mathematical Bio.
to give you an idea of where the research is in this field.

Hope that helps,
Scott