Requesting info on digestion

Alan E. Jackson AJackson at ST.CEU.EDU
Wed Feb 7 21:49:18 EST 1996

 From: recurve at exp2.wam.umd.edu (Aaron David Rosenzweig)
 Subject: Requesting info on digestion
 Date: 4 Feb 1996 00:55:01 GMT

 I'm sending this on behalf of Jeff Rosenzweig who does not
 have a net connection:
 I am a 10th grade, High School student who is working on a
 science fair project.  The first part of my project is
 concerned with the digestion of substances in the mouth,
 stomach and small intestine.  While I know which substances
 are digested in the three locations
 (mouth, stomach, and small intestine), I would like to learn
 ///
 Thank you for any assistance that you can give me.

 If you'd like to send me private e-mail that is ok but
 consider also posting or at least doing a cc: to the
 newsgroup so that others can benefit :-)

 recurve

                      "STORE WITH GROCERIES"

     The feeling of security that overcomes me when I find myself in a

   grocery store, seems to have become more complex recently.  Once

   thought to be a by-product of the abundance of food, this feeling of

   security, when more closely examined, may be found to derive in part,

   not only from the abundance, but also, from the variety of foods

   within the store.  The spice of life?

     Let's explore the possibility, that the collection of diverse foods,

   along with abundance, together bring about the feeling I receive upon

   entrance.  In other words, does the perception of variety, thus

   abundance, give cause for, or allow a stronger foundation for hope

   within my mind?  If there is safety in numbers, how important is it

   that the numbers be different?

     By the grouping together of certain facts, I hope to present and prove

   the case in point.  Which is, that the variety of nutrients in a given

   area, is equal to the possible collection of diverse peoples.  And

   that an act which limits or causes exclusion of a known to be used

   nutrient, from the market place, is an act which limits or causes

   exclusion of certain peoples.  Which takes heat away from the melting

   pot, known as the U.S.A.

          (TO EXERCISE ONE'S ABILITY TO ADAPT=GROWTH)=LIFE.

   FACTS IN MEMORY-

     1)  In a discussion about some wild horses on an island off Beaufort,

   it was stated that the horses would not live as long, or might die, if

   they were moved.  And the reason for this fact had to do with their

   diet.  The diet of foods found wild on the island would not be found

   elsewhere, and the horses metabolism has grown accustom to the foods of

   a certain area, and a change in the diet would stress the animal's

   ability to draw nutrients from available foods, because the animal's

   metabolism is set up for, and accustom to deriving elements through a

   certain chemical process, from certain source nutrients, found in the

   animal's area of evolution since conception or birth.  In other words,

   they are not domesticated animals, they have not been raised on a

   nutrient source that is available in other locations.

     2)  The term nutrient, has in the past, caused a symbolic image of a

   plate with meat and potatoes to form in my mind.  Lately however, with

   the evidence that nutrients can be absorbed more readily through the

   skin, by pores, (such as nitroglycerin for the cardio- heart), brings

   understanding that certain nutrients ingested by patch-on-skin method

   is both physically and monetarily economical.  Thus; continually

   communicating elements to be used nutritionally, from ether the inside

   walls of the intestine and esophagus, or the outside surface of the

   skin, the lymph system takes in and excretes elements through its many

   openings, (pores, villas, mouth, ect...).

     3)  NIACIN = Nicotinic acid- Biochem.  A colorless, water soluble

   compound, C6 H5 NO2, prepared by the oxidation of nicotine and forming

   part of the vitamin B complex, used to prevent pellagra.

         PELLAGRA- PATHOL.  A disease characterized by gastric disturbance,

   skin eruptions, ect..., caused by a deficiency of nicotinic acid.
                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              ORNITHOL

         1)   Are the sections between valves in the lymph system,
           actually small digestive tracks, that begin to digest
           the waste from each cell, close to its source, and then
           return their product, (lymph=reusable compounds plus
           compounds to be filtered by the kidneys), by way of the
           lymphatic heart (thoracic duct), to be blood system?

         2)   As with our main digestive track, (stomach, small
           and large intestine), do all lymph tracks/sections
           require within them a mixture that contains pockets
           of air or gas, essential for chemical break down and
           absorption?
           3)   Does/would the presence of air in the lymph system
           explain another reason for lymph to have to pass many
           valves before entering the blood system?

         4)   Does movement of each lymph track aid in digestion,
           as the wave aerate the water and humidifies the air?

         5)   Is it the job of the lymph system, to carry white
           blood cells as they move up stream, sensing and tracking
           abnormal cells by their excretion into the lymph system,
           and does a job half done move the abnormal cell to a
           place where it can grow and multiply?

         6)   Can the body, with the help of the lymph system,
           move or give, a foreign or abnormal cell, a place to
           grow and live, (such as a mole), for observation and
           close control, or be moved to a place deep, to become
           a vital organ when viewed as a symbiotic partner?

         7)   Must a good understanding of our working, evolving
           body, take into account this fact; that our cells grow
           best when moving, or change to adapt when not.

                                          At your service,
                                          Alan E. Jackson