Table of genome sizes

Tom Schneider toms at
Mon Feb 12 18:56:13 EST 1996

Nikolaj Blom (nikob at wrote:

: Below, I have included a table of the organisms in
: question, which might be of general interest.

Could you give references to the original sources?  Then we could use it in

Although Kenn Rudd (rudd at can probably give you a better
estimate now, E. coli is closer to 4,673,600:

author = "K. E. Rudd
 and T. D. Schneider",
title = "Compilation of {{\em E. coli\/}} Ribosome Binding Sites",
pages = "17.19-17.45",
editor = "Jeffrey H. Miller",
booktitle = "{A Short Course in Bacterial Genetics: A Laboratory
Manual and Handbook for {{\em Escherichia coli\/}} and Related Bacteria}",
publisher = "Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press",
address = "Cold Spring Harbor, New York",
year = "1992"}

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology