What's a MICROSOME?

Stefan Schneider s.schneider at rz.uni-sb.de.COM
Mon Feb 19 04:48:31 EST 1996

In article <4g5m3i$gje at ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>, ckwcheng at acs4.acs.ucalgary.ca
says...

>OOPS!  I made a mistake in my posting.   I've been looking all
>over for the definition of a MICROSOME, not microbody.  Are they
>the same?
>
>I need some help.
>
>Cal

Hi,
earlier, any compartments of cells with a size at the limit of visibility
in a normal microscope were referred to as microsomes. Today the term
microsome means a quiet heterogenious fraction of different particles
which is won out of decomposed cells by centrifugation.
The fraction contains besides anorganic crystals (often present in plant
cells) sphaerosomes (spheric particles with a lipid monolayer of a size of
about 1 micrometer), microbodies (a little smaller than the sphaerosomes
and with a lipid bilayer membrane). The microbodies are classified by
their biochemical function: Lysosomes containing lytic enzymes,
Glyoxisomes with enzymes for the activation of storage-lipids and
Peroxisomes (Katalase activity). In addition the fraction reffered to as
microsomes contains fragments of the endoplasmatic reticulum with
ribosomes.
I hope this helps Ciao...