scientists above reproach?

Bryan Grieg Fry psu05565 at odin.cc.pdx.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:46:36 EST 1996

As a scientist, I must agree with Peter response.  The idea that research
is unquestionable is not a valid assertion, why else do we have ethics
boards to evaluate the legitimacy of animal research exps?  That said, if
a valid board did approve the initial toad expirements, then nothing more
needs to be evaluated unless 1) there is a gross deviation from the
origional prospectus or 2) it is clear and obvious (two words whose
meanings are anything but ) that the board errored in approving said
expirements.

Research is always being questioned by others, HOWEVER the reasons that
such questions are viewed with strong suspicion is that the questioner
may have an agenda of their own.  This is especially the case in either
animal expirements or in cases where the ideas deviate from the existing
paradigm.  In the latter case, criticism is often not valid because the
people who are doing the criticizing often times have their career and
thus livelyhood staked on an opposing view.

That said, I will always support the freedom to criticize the validity of
expirements.....ever hear of Dr. Mengle??

With regards,

Bryan Grieg Fry

--

 "The caribou love it. They rub against it and they have babies. There are more caribou in Alaska than you can shake a stick at."
                               --George Bush, on the Alaska pipeline