What's a microbody?

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Mon Feb 19 21:20:07 EST 1996

In article <4g521f$i72 at ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>, ckwcheng at acs4.acs.ucalgary.ca (Calvino Ka-wing Cheng) writes:
> I'm dying to know what a microbody is.  Our textbook and other
> textbooks only state that it comes off in the centrifuge with
> rough ER...but nothing else.  So what is a microbody anyways?
>
> Somebody help me!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Calvino

To quote Lazarow and Fujiki (1985) Biogenesis of peroxisomes. Ann
Rev  Cell Biol 1: 489-530:

"Microbody" is a morphological term for a subcellular structure
bounded by one membrane with a homogeneous matrix and a diameter
usually between 0.2 and 1.0uM.... microbodies are usually, but
not always, peroxisomes".

--
Cheers,

Martin

		Phone (64-3)364-0880   Fax (64-3)364-0750